New Year’s Eve is a night for partying, drinking, costumes, and fun for many people the world over. It is also one of the year’s most dangerous and deadly nights for drivers on Georgia’s roads. Everyone has places to go, friends to see, and parties to attend. The temptation to get behind the wheel after drinking runs very high.
Compared to an average Friday or Saturday night, the 12 hour period between December 31 at 6:00 PM and January 1 at 6:00 AM sees a 71% average increase in drug and alcohol-related car accidents. On any given day in the United States, an average of 28 people lose their lives in alcohol-related car accidents. The average fatality rate from drunk driving on New Year’s Eve is 140. The difference is both staggering and alarming.
Driving during the chilly winter months is already hazardous, and the high rates of drinking and driving during New Years only exacerbates this problem. If you absolutely must drive on New Year’s Eve, there are some steps that you can take to help increase your chances of staying safe and unharmed.
If You Are Going Out
- Designate a sober driver to make sure you and everyone with you get to where you are going safely. If no one wants to be the sober driver, call for an Uber, a Lyft, or a taxi. Some of these services offer free rides on New Year’s Eve to help make sure everyone one is safe during the holiday. Before going out, make sure you have the apps or phone numbers you need already on your phone and your information already logged in. You don’t want to try and figure out how to do that after you’ve been drinking
- Arrange a hotel stay for everyone in your group on the evening of the event so no one drives home impaired. Plus, free continental breakfast.
- New Year’s Eve has the second highest car theft rates of the entire year. If you end up having to leave your car somewhere, make sure it is locked with the lights off and the alarm set. You should also pick it back up as soon as possible.
If You Are Hosting The Party
- If you are the one hosting the party, make sure to offer a selection of non-alcoholic beverages for your guests are the designated driver for their group that night.
- As your party guests RSVP, make sure that one person in each group is prepared to be the designated driver or that each guest has alternate arrangements for getting home, such as a sober friend who will come get them when they call. If possible, offer to have your guests stay the night in your home if their ride does not work out.
- Make sure that you provide plenty of food so that your party goers are not drinking on an empty stomach.
New Year’s Eve can be a great time to get together with friends and with loved ones and celebrate the passing of the old year and welcome in the new year as long as common sense safety practices are put to use. When an accident happens on a day that is supposed to be fun and exciting, the experience can be particularly overwhelming. An experienced Georgia car accident attorney can help you during this difficult time.
Car Crash Lawyer in Georgia
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident as the result of a drunk driver, contact the personal injury attorneys at Nye Law Group for help. By calling (912) 200-5230, you can speak with one of our licensed attorneys about your case and the next steps forward.