More than six million automobile accidents take place in the U.S. each year. Of these accidents, one in three result in a personal injury and one in five result in fatalities.
If you are ever in a car accident, you should take these 10 steps to protect your legal rights after the crash.
- Stay at the accident scene. Never leave, no matter how minor the collision.
- Protect and prevent additional damage. Turn your hazard lights on to signal other vehicles to steer clear. If your lights do not work, use a flashlight to increase your visibility.
- Notify law enforcement. It is always smart to get a police report, even if you were not injured. Some insurance providers require it when making a claim for vehicle damage.
- Maintain accuracy. Tell the officer exactly what you experienced. If you do not know the answer to a question, tell the officer that you do not know. Listen to the statements of other parties involved to ensure accurate reporting.
- Photograph the accident scene. Using your camera or a cellphone camera, take pictures of the accident scene, including the vehicles and their damage, any injuries, the roadway conditions, and other pertinent details.
- Gather contact information. If not provided by a law enforcement officer, gather the contact details of the other driver involved in the accident, as well as any passengers. Request their insurance information and ask to see a valid insurance card. If there were witnesses to your accident, collect their names and contact information; your attorney may wish to contact them at a later date.
- Report the accident to your insurer. Notify your insurance provider of the accident and determine if you have coverage for medical bills.
- Obtain medical care for your injuries. Visit your doctor or an emergency room even if pain and other symptoms are not immediately present.
- Collect information. Keep accident reports, contact information and medical bills in an easily-accessible spot for your convenience.
- Contact a lawyer. An experienced Savannah car accident attorney will work to protect your rights and fight for your best interests following an accident. They will advise you regarding legal action and help you navigate the process of filing a legal claim.
The personal injury attorneys at The Nye Law Group will evaluate your claim for free and aggressively pursue any compensation you are entitled.
Call 855-856-4212 or complete our Free Case Evaluation now.